Saudi Space Commission
The Saudi Space Commission (SSC) was established by the royal order in December of 2018 (Rabi II 1440).
This bold step serves a future that is innovative and looks forward to the latest technologies and opportunities in the Saudi Space Industry.
With the Kingdom moving towards a progressive quality of life, SSC demonstrates the aligned vision of creating better, secure environments for its citizens while actively enabling prospects of lucrative economic and monetary inventions.
The Saudi Space Commission (SSC) has strategized to create primary objectives that serve national security interests against space related risks and encourage cumulative growth and advancement.
- Saudi Space Comission
- SSC Responsibilities
- Space Policy
- Guiding Principles for Space Strategy
- Board of directors
- Leading the sector by setting out national policies and strategies.
- Overseeing the implementation of national policies and strategies.
- Regulating commercial activities related to space by formulating rules and regulations that govern the functioning of the sector, issuing licenses and ensuring compliance.
- Coordinating work with stakeholders.
- Empowering national space sector by providing necessary enablement in coordination with stakeholders.
- Representing the sector internationally.
- Planning, managing and financing research and development projects with the aim of developing space technology and building national capacity in Saudi Arabia.
- Leading the implementation of strategic activities by financing, managing and implementing strategic programs.
- Abstaining from competition with the private sector unless for reasonable strategic purposes.
1. Devising plans and policies for the national space sector.
2. Implementing national space strategy.
3. Regulating and developing all the activities related to space.
4. Promoting research and industrial activities in the field of space.
5. Regulating and developing the national satellite industry.
6. Regulating and developing satellite navigation systems.
7. Developing technology for the launch of space vehicles and associated services.
8. Enhancing national space security through space observation and debris detection activities.
9. Developing the national space infrastructure.
10. Regulating all activities related to space missions and exploration.
11. Developing national cadres in the fields of space science and technology.
12. Working with government agencies and related parties in pursuit of common goals.
13. Representing Saudi Arabia in international forums and events.
Identified KSA space policy objectives
Catalyzing economic development and innovation
Increasing the percentage of local content along the space supply chain in fulfilment of economic diversification goals, Enhancing research and development (R&D) activities to create new social, economic and scientific opportunities and Raising the participation of the private sector in space activities.
Enhancing national security
Embracing modern technology to meet the strategic needs of the Kingdom and manage risks.
Promoting international cooperation
Enhancing the Kingdom’s position on the local arena in face of common challenges.
Developing national human capital
Inspiring future generations of scientists and engineers, Building a national network of space experts and Increasing women participation in the space sector.
Guiding Principles for Space Strategy
Forward looking – encouraging innovation and development The Space Sector in Saudi Arabia: Overview
Managing the space sector at the levels of technologies and supply chain in the public and private sectors
Taking into account the current and future capabilities of the Kingdom
Achieving the alignment with Vision 2030 and seeking to realize the vision on the ground
Abiding by peacefulness considerations in such a manner that enhances the livelihood of citizens in Saudi Arabia and achieves the good of humanity at large
Ensuring compliance with international regulations and treaties to which Saudi Arabia is signatory
Adopting a proactive approach in inspiring young generations to be bold, creative and forward looking in business practices.
Board of directors
The Board of Directors is the ultimate authority over the managing of the SSC and making decisions necessary for serving its strategic goals
His Excellency Engineer Abdullah bin Amer Al-Swahha
Chairman of the Board of Directors of Saudi Space Commission (SSC)
H.E. Mr. Abdulaziz bin Abdullah Al-Duailj
President of the General Authority of Civil Aviation (GACA)
H.E. Dr. Mohammed Saud Al Tamimi
Governor of the Communications and Information Technology Commission (CITC)
His Excellency Dr. Munir Mahmoud Al-Desouki
President of King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST)
H.E. Dr. Mohammed Ahmed ALsudairy
Deputy Minister of Education for Universities, Research and Innovation